OUR MAIN OBJECTIVE
The Unit for Combating Money Laundering (MOKAS) is the Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) of Cyprus. It is the national center for receiving, requesting, analyzing and disseminating disclosures of suspicious transactions reports and other relevant information concerning suspected money laundering and terrorist financing.
The Prevention and Suppression of Money Laundering Activities Law 2007 (No.188(I)2007). It was enacted on 13.12.2007 (came into force on 08.01.2008), amending and consolidating the previous Laws of 1996-2004. It has been amended with Law No 58(I)/2010.
OUR MAIN FUNCTIONS
- Gathering, classification, evaluation and analysis of information submitted by reporting entities in accordance with the legislation and regulations, together with information from international and domestic partners.
- Co-operation and exchange of information with other FIUs.
- Issuing guidance directives and providing training to financial institutions, the Police, professionals and others.
- Issuing administrative orders for the postponement of transactions.
- Members of the Unit can apply and obtain court orders ie disclosure orders, freezing orders, confiscation orders.
- Protecting the privacy of the information we possess.
For the 2015 Annual Report, please click the link below.